Do you know one of the biggest mistakes that website owners make?
Not doing keyword research and optimizing their content for target keywords.
Do you know what a bigger mistake is?
Not tracking the search engine ranking of the target keywords.
Keyword research and optimising your website for those keywords are essential for boosting organic traffic.
However, when you have done the above two, your job is not quite finished!
You need to keep monitoring the performance of your target keywords.
- What are the top search phrases that your website is ranking for?
- Who are your main competitors for those keywords?
- What’s the trend of your keyword rank over a period?
Does it sound too much work? Don’t worry. In this article, I will walk you through five awesome websites that will help you track the search performance of your target keywords. These websites are easy to use and quite user-friendly.
This is my promise. After you have finished reading this article, it will only take you 10-15 minutes to set up the keyword performance tracking for your website.
So, let’s dive right in.
SEMRush is the most popular website that provides a wide range of SEO related services. SEMRush has many products to evaluate and boost the online visibility of your website.
So, let’s just login to SEMRush and see their products and services.
As you login to SEMRush, the landing page would be a dashboard with a myriad of options. Let me walk you through this dashboard. The dashboard of SEMRush can be divided into two main sections.
Section 1: General analysis of any domain or keyword
If you are looking for digging deeper into your domain’s online presence (or your competitor’s) or looking for the keywords that will work for you, there are several analytics tools available within the SEMRush website.
- Domain Analytics: It’s a quick way to check your domain’s online visibility. This includes organic and paid search traffic and number of backlinks to your website.
- Keyword Analytics: You can look up any keyword in this tool. The tool will instantly pull up the search volume for that keyword, competition level, the value of the keyword. It’s also a starting point of in-depth keyword research in SEMRush.
- Traffic Analytics: It’s a tool for diving deep into the traffic data of any website. It shows traffic from different devices, unique visitors, traffic sources, and traffic from different geographical regions.
- Gap Analysis: This is an extensive toolkit to understand the keyword gaps and backlink gaps. It allows you to add up to 5 competitors and compare the performance of your with for criteria like keyword ranking, organic, and paid traffic.
Section 2: Continuous tracking of your website
On the dashboard of SEMRush, you will find a project section. Check the screenshot below. This is the place where you can add your website as a project to get a comprehensive analysis that includes – your high performing keywords, your ranks for each keyword, and how your website perform when compared to your competitors.
Here are the steps to create a project for the continuous monitoring of your website. Once you set up a project, SEMRush will periodically send you the search performance of your target keywords.
Step1: Add your website as a project
Expand the project section in the main dashboard and scroll down. You will get an option to “create my first project.”
Step 2: Enter your domain and a project name and create project
Step 3: Set up position tracking
Once you create a new project for your website, you will be redirected to the project dashboard. On this page, you can see various SEO analysis options. For keyword tracking, you need to set up the position tracking as in the below image.
Step 4: Add your keywords for performance monitoring
Once you click on the setup in the above step, you will get a page to enter the geographical details where you want to do the tracking. The next step is to add keywords that you want to track. You can either enter them manually or export them from a text or CSW file. Add the keywords to the project and start tracking.
Voila! You will start getting your weekly performance updates.
SEMRush has a lot of different tools to improve the performance of your website. It might be a little overwhelming in the beginning to use all of these tools. However, once you have done the above steps, you can explore the other tools and boost your websites online presence and organic traffic.
SEMRush is a paid website where you get a seven-day free trial.
Ahrefs is another excellent website you can use for keyword performance tracking. You can perform the keyword rank tracking using a great tool from Ahrefs.
The Rank Tracker tool of Ahrefs
The “Rank Tracker” is an excellent tool that bundles a lot of features in one place. In my opinion, it’s a go-to place for all your keyword performance queries.
It’s very easy to start using the Rank Tracker. Here’s are the steps.
Step1: Create a project for your website
This is a simple step, where you have to input your website URL. The Aherfs expert’s tip is to choose the http + https option while you input your domain’s URL.
Step2: Input/Import a list of keywords that you want to monitor
The next step is to provide a list of keywords to the Rank Tracker tool for monitoring. If you have only a few keywords, then you can add them manually in a comma-separated list. There are also options for importing a txt of CSW files.
If you just scroll down, you can see that the Rank Tracker tool has already picked up some top-ranking keywords for your website. How cool is that? So, you can pick some of those keywords as well.
Step 3: Add the locations for which you need the tracking data.
The Rank Tracker tool from Ahrefs will bring you ranking data from 170 countries around the world. It’s good to target a specific geographical region for a better understanding of your keyword performance
Step 4: Add competitors
The tool suggests a few possible competitors in your domain. This list is based on the top ranking websites for the keywords you had added in step 2. You can choose from the already populated list, or add specific competitor URLs
Once you add these data into the project and start monitoring, you will get a dashboard that provides you all the details you want to know about your keywords, organic traffic, competitors, and search engine rankings. The dashboard is divided into four different sections
- Overview: The graphs that show your online presence, filters for data, and raw ranking data.
- Competitors: Same as the above overview, but the data is from your five competitor URLs.
- Metrics: Gives several useful data related to your keywords. For example, the search rank, keyword difficulty, Click Per Cost(CPC), search volume, and clicks
- Grossing: It’s a section that gives you the increase and decrease in your keyword positions over a long period.
Here’s a great video from an Aherfs expert, that will help you set up the Rank Tracker tool
Ahrefs is also a paid website. Unlike the SMERush, you dont get a free trial. The seven-day trial will cost you $7. But I believe it’s worth it.
If you want a super simple, yet comprehensive keyword performance tracker, then you should check out AccuRanker.
Compared to many other keyword ranking trackers, AccuRanker is super-fast. It only takes a few seconds for the tool to pull out the keyword performance metrics.
The first page you will encounter after signing up is the AccuRanker dashboard. Share of Voice is one of the exciting matrics available in the dashboard of AccuRanker.
Share of Voice (SOV) is a metric that is underutilized by many people. Have you heard of it before? It’s a measure of your brand visibility and a gauge of your keyword performance.
AccuRanker also has a keyword dashboard. This is the place you will be spending a lot of time if you want to monitor the performance of your target keywords.
AccuRanker is a paid software, but you can sign up for a 14-day free trial.
You might already know about the powers of Google Analytics for SEO analysis. But, until recently, I hadn’t explored the possibility of keyword performance tracking with Google Analytics.
While it’s great to have the keyword performance data from Google itself, setting up Google Analytics is a bit involved. It’s not a straight forward click and go like the above websites. Don’t worry. I will show you the step by step process for using Google Analytics for your keyword performance tracking.
Step 2: Link your search console account with Google Analytics
- Login to Google Analytics and click on the admin
- From the landing page go to “Property Settings”
- In Property Settings, scroll down to find “Adjust Search Console”
- In the landing page, you will get a link to “add” your website to Google Analytics, click on it.
- On the landing page, you will get a list of websites you own. Choose whichever you want to connect to your Analytics. Google Analytics will redirect to Google Search Console to verify if you own the website.
- Go back to the Analytics page and refresh.
With these simple steps, Google Analytics will be able to draw data from your Google Search Console and provide you useful information.
How to view the keyword tracking data in Google Analytics?
- Open Google Analytics dashboard
- Go to Acquisitions
- Click on Search Console
- Go into Queries
When you reach the queries page, you will see the set of queries for which your website is ranking. It will give you the following details.
- Number of clicks for each keyword.
- Your Search Engine Ranking for that keyword.
- Click-Through Rate.
- The total number of impressions.
If you haven’t tried these free tools from Google, it’s worth giving them a try. We have a cool article on how you can improve your search engine ranking using the data from Google Analytics. DO Check it out!
If you are just starting out with keyword tracking, you might want to check out SERPWatcher. As their website claims, the website has quite an intuitive and simple user interface.
If you don’t want to spend too much time to walk deep into the SEO jungles, SERPWatcher promises it will only take 30 seconds from the initial setup to the daily keyword performance tracking.
The functionality of SERPWatcher is almost the same as the websites we saw above. It includes,
- Keyword performance tracking including ranking, search volume.
- Narrow the tracking based on geographical location and devices.
- Keyword tracking for multiple domains.
- Gain and loss of position for each keyword.
Once you set up the keyword tracking, SERPWatcher will send you daily updates on the performance of your keywords. SERPWatcher is from Mangools, which also provides other powerful tools like KWFinder, SERPChecker, LinkMiner, and SiteProfiler.
SERPWatcher provides ten days free trial, to get to know the tool before you make a decision.